Historic Homes of the Taieri Tour 2021

A successful SOLD OUT tour

Check in again in October when we will have details for our next tour, featuring historic Port Chalmers homes, and planned for early March 2022

Event Info

In March 2021 we had a total of 15 locations on a self drive tour of the North Taieri area. The homes that were open are listed below.

We have now started planning for a similar self drive tour of some old and fabulous homes in St Leonards and Port Chalmers, including some of the earliest surviving cottages.

Meanwhile, if you have any questions or suggestions, just contact us via our Contact Us page.

When?

Was held on Sunday 7th March 2021

Next event on a similar date next year

There was also the opportunity to share experiences over a complimentary tea and scones in the Chatsford Retirement Village Recreation Centre.

What was included?

A total of 15 historic homes and some associated gardens in the North Taieri area.

Some chose to visit them all, while others picked the nine or ten that interested them the most

Homes

Glen Lyon

Constructed of stone in 1861 and fully restored with period furniture, with sweeping views over the north Taieri plain

Gladstenbury

Built of Baltic Pine in 1868 by Gilbert Buchanan, who arrived with his parents on the Philip Laing in 1848.

Balmoral

Erected in 1857 by ferryman Donald Borrie on the banks of the Taieri River at Outram.
Restored by its present owners back to its original glory.

Wairongoa Springs

Walk down the bush track to taste the water from the spring, bubbling from the base of this tower built over the top of it in 1894.

View the fountains and grove of Kauri trees in their setting of native bush.

Otago Witness 1903

Salisbury Woolshed

Built by Donald Reid in the early 1870’s from iron imported from Britain, this building is believed to be the oldest combination woolshed and covered yards in New Zealand

The Retreat

On the hill above the road past Outram and set in a grove of trees, The Retreat was the original doctors residence for the district.
With a separate front door to the surgery, and still displaying much of its original simple Victorian era décor. 
Plus, imagine yourself living in the small gardeners cottage to the side of the drive

Islington

Dating from 1912, Islington is the most recently constructed home in our tour, but arguably the most elegant.
Set in 5 acres of grounds with trees dating from 1870, this home has just completed an extensive top to bottom renovation that has actually enhanced the original glory.

East Taieri Manse

Built of double brick in 1877, and modernized several times over the next 100 years, the interior still reflects the décor of its heyday when was the centre of life in the parish, including the original highly decorative cornices through many of the rooms.

East Taieri Church

Designed by RA Lawson and constructed in 1870, this majestic church is still the centre of parish life.

Be sure to take time to admire the 11 stained glass windows designed by Dunedin’s Mr JW Brock

Holy Cross & Burns Lodge (Mossgiel)

Arthur J Burns original 1870’s homestead, and the associated Holy Cross seminary which opened in 1900.

View the chapel, library, original dormitory rooms, and other parts of this historic complex.

Mayfield

A just completed top to toe restoration by its present owner has resulted in this this Bush Rd property retaining its original external appearance, while inside is as modern as they come.

North Taieri Church

Constructed in 1867 by the first settlers in the area.

Admire the stained glass windows and commemorative plaques

North Taieri Manse

Through ongoing application over the years, the present owners have managed to restore and maintain the integrity and original appearance of this home, so that today is in as good a condition and as liveable as when first built in 1867.

1970 Audrey Bascand sketch

Salisbury Lodge Grounds

Walk up the curved drive to view the magnificent grounds and gardens, with delightful paths and turns to reveal new surprises.

Well worth taking the time to stroll.

Findlayston

Built by John Findlay prior to his 1870 marriage, and with a totara frame, this early Taieri homestead has been modernised internally, while retaining its original exterior charm and appearance.

Be sure to visit the old stables with their brick lined floor.

We know you will enjoy this comprehensive selection of early Taieri homes and buildings, dating all the way back to those first settlers, who created the foundation for the Taieri we know today.